Mercedes had hoped to return to the top of Formula 1 after its poor 2022 season this year, but it did not succeed. The German constructor is still fighting for a podium at best. Team boss Toto Wolff says that is unlikely to change this year, as the development of this season's car has already almost stopped.
Already during the first Grand Prix weekend in Bahrain, it became clear that little had changed at Mercedes. As a result, it was also decided to throw out the innovative 'zeropods' concept: as of the race weekend in Monaco, sidepods did. With this, the Mercedes car seemed significantly improved, but it still does not come close to Red Bull Racing.
In Hungary, Lewis Hamilton achieved Mercedes' highlight of 2023 so far. The Briton captured pole position with a narrow lead over Max Verstappen. On Sunday, however, Hamilton dropped to fourth position at the very start, quickly making a first win in 2023 unattainable for Mercedes. Whether the German team will achieve another victory this season remains to be seen, as Wolff indicates that development of the W14 has almost stopped.
"The sails are set for 2024, now with the car development almost stopped for this year. I find that good because there is so much we can optimise on the current car without looking too much onto upgrades. Let’s see how we can really get it into more of a sweet-spot, whilst gaining lots of understanding for next year," said the Mercedes team boss in the Mid-season Review on YouTube.