Did Tsunoda Jump the Gun? Misses Marko's Call Before Press Conference

16:47, 03 Apr
Updated: 17:17, 03 Apr
0 Comments

At the Thursday press conference during the Japanese Grand Prix, Yuki Tsunoda made comments about how he has not heard from Dr. Helmut Marko. However, Tsunoda’s comments turned out to be not 100% truthful.

Tsunoda receives call from Marko

Tsunsoda has said that he has not received a phone call from Red Bull Racing advisor Marko after his promotion was announced. About not yet receiving a call from Marko, he said, “Surprisingly, he didn’t call me yet. Very unusual. I'm not sure—maybe he was busy with other things.” Tsunoda has previously talked about his relationship with Marko and how often they stay in touch.

However, Tsunoda was quickly proven wrong when he exited the press conference and saw that he missed a phone call from Marko timed before he entered the conference. On F1’s Weekend Warm-up, Chris Medland said, “'[Yuki] said he was looking forward to that call. Then he walked out of the press conference, checked his phone, Helmut Marko just tried to call him before the press conference."

After the Chinese Grand Prix, it was announced that Liam Lawson would be stepping down and that Tsunoda would take his place. After 89 race starts, Tsunoda will finally start the next grand prix as a Red Bull Racing driver. Tsuonda will make his debut for his new team in front of his home crowd at the Japanese Grand Prix.


Want more Formula 1? Then follow GPblog on our various social media channels!

XInstagram | TikTok | YouTube